I got to fish 2 spots for about 40 minutes total. Rt. 679 near new gretna ( oswego creek? )nothing was biting, so I walked 100 feet to where the waterfall/spillway was and cast out a silver spoon and had a HUGE pikerel jumping out of the water to get the lure. Finally hooked him 5 minutes later, about 50 feet out. Got him to about 15 feet from shore and he wrapped around some weeds and fallen tree limbs and the dam line snapped! Lost the lure and the fish. Stopped at a small lake in voorhees and they drained 98% of it. There's still about a foot of water, but all the undergrowth is 2 inches below the surface - except for a 40 foot area that's clear. It's full of pikerel and they are fighting for the lure. The bass are under the weeds and they kept missing the lure ( jitterbug ). Wished I could've fished longer. Caught 2 big piks and 1 small pik in 15 minutes. Everytime I cast out a lure, there were 3-5 fish going after it. So I went from being depressed about losing a fish to discovering a goldmine spot full of big fish. Hope they keep the water level down for a few days, because I'm coming back!!!!!

Posted Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Sounds like you had a great day... too bad you only had a short time to fish.... Good luck on your return trip... with the water low... I would pay close attention to where there are stumps and where the main channel / stream runs through so you know where to fish once the water is raised.... how did you do on your return trip?

Posted Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Sounds like a good day!! you sure beat me, today spent 6 hours on Greenwood lake and caught 3 fish. Sad

Posted Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:29 pm

WOW Greenwood Lake that brings back memories. Great lake I have not been up there in years

Posted Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Been back 4 times, only catching 1 - 2 piks each time - lots of boils/swirls eachtime the lure hits the water. Not as many fish landed onshore as I would like, but the action has been awesome. It's been really windy the last 3 times here, hopefully the water will be calmer next trip. The fish have been hitting the jitterbug, the blue/yellow spinner and a small silver bucktail

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:22 pm

going back to the rt.679 spot tuesday and try to catch that huge pikerel and get my lure back! Don't know if it will still be in the fish, or if I will catch the same fish, but there can't be many fish this size in the spillway - he looked about 22-26 inches and just big and fat! Hope to be posting a picture of that fish tomorrow night!

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Didn't get to go there today! They gave half my route to another driver - my truck was too full - gonna have to wait til next tuesday....damn.

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:47 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links