Those little bastards are everywhere down here in south jersey. Found 6 on me this weekend. All different shapes and sizes. Maybe i need stronger repellent ( i used off ). Time to select some tick free fishing spots, and put a few on the "wait until it's cold to fish" list. I love the weather, but hate dealing with the bugs. At the start of the pine barrens near atco, there's one lake that has big pikerels...and the only area you can fish from is about 30 feet long and filled with some sort of mud wasp looking bees, coming out of the ground. There has to be 300 nests in the ground - we can't go there until it's freezing. And we have to add 4 little spots locally on the list due to the ticks - too many trees and under growth. I don't remember the ticks being this bad. I had 2 ticks on me last year, and i went to the same spots to fish. Think i need to invest in a flamethrower and torch them things up

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 pm

I've only been out fishing a few times so far this year, but I'm happy to say NO ticks. I live in central west NJ surrounded in the woods and only one or two ticks so far and thats counting on the dog too. Isn't south jersey known for its large deer tick populations????

Get ready for the “Cicadas” they don't suck blood but they are noisy, annoying and will drive you crazy!!!

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 am

Yes, southjersey is known for ticks, but mostly in the pine barrens or deep woods, now they seem to be everywhere. Just gonna keep checking every few minutes and keep on spraying. As for the cicadas....your description of them sounds like my mother in-law, so i ain't worried about them Ha!

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Permethrin . I stand by this stuff . It's a lil expensive but WELL worth it . Spray ur clothes n gear ur gona use the night before or atleast an hour before u go . Time to dry . DON'T SPRAY WHILE WEARING THEM ... Learn from my mistep . I swear Ticks HATE this stuff . I found a few ticks on me this year then remebered I had this n I sprayed my stuff dried it out n knock on wood haven't seen a single tick since . It is only for ur gear n clothes n ur car upholstery , NOT FOR SKIN . Got it at Ramsey Outdoors ,but they have it at Dicks n other Sporting goods spots also . Try it see for your self . It works

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks for the info on the chemical dude...will get some ASAP. I hate the fact that those little bugs are ruining some fishing spots

Posted Sun May 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Haven't had to much trouble with ticks lately. Been watching where we go - no high grass/weeds - not to many trees overhanging etc. Have not fished a few lakes/ponds that are just overgrown and algae covered, hopefully the twp. or city they are in, will be cleaning these places up. And the goose s*** is just horrible, some lakes/ponds it is piled up all over - it's disgusting. G.D. geese

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 pm

I do alot of fishing in the lakes near McGuire/Dix. I figure I pick off or knock off close to a dozen ticks each trip and have to do a VERY thorough tick check when I get home. Found one of the mini-ticks already embedded about an hour after my regular tick check last night. Pisses me off, but that's my fault for not being properly prepared. Going to invest in some of the good chemicals tonight.

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 am

Dude, i used to live on ft.dix on ash street. My stepdad was stationed there in 1979-80. Used to fish in the lakes all around and on the base. Caught some HUGE pikerel's in the lake at the end of the runway, with the fighter jets ( f-4's ) and the big C-141's coming in at 150 feet. Never had a problem with ticks at all. The soldiers did, they had signs everywhere in the pines where they had their wargames and training - about ticks and to keep checking themselves,etc. I do a tick check everyday, even when i don't fish in a woodsy area.

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:48 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links