The American Shad will soon be migrating up the Delaware River to spawn.(usually by the end of March or early April) As they migrate up stream, their numbers will increase and their locations will change. These changes are reported daily and can be obtained by calling the "Shad Hotline" for the most updated info.

Hotline #s: 1-610-954-0578 or 1-610-954-0577

Shad is also known as the poor man’s salmon. You can fish for them from shore, wade or by boat. The ideal water temperature to catch them should be 50*. The most popular lure are Shad Darts, Flutter spoons and Shad flies. They are not hungry, because all they want to do is get upstream to spawn. By you dropping any of the above lures in front of them makes them mad and they chomp at it. Shad is also a good fighting fish.

Some people eat them, but I find them way too boney. I use them for fertilizer for my tomato plants or for bait & chum.

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:49 am

as soon as the weather lets me finish geting the boat ready i plan on going.i also fish at the end of high st in burlington with my brother of the walk way due pretty good when ther running.

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 am

I used to fish for Shad in the Columbia River out west. They are a blast on medium-light tackle. Would love to know some places I might be able to get to them from shore. How long does the season last? I have to leave Friday for a couple weeks and I am hoping I am not going to miss the whole season.

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:48 pm

The season sarts as soon as the water temp reaches 50*. and as long as the run lasts. You have to call the hotline number to get the most update info of where the fish are in the Delaware river. As far as fishing from shore. You can go any where along the river. The only problem might be with guys wading. I normaly fish around trenton to lambertville.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 am

Thanks, Jim! I don't live too far from Trenton. I was reading as much as I could yesterday onine about the Delaware River shad runs. Hopefully I can find a spot to play!

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 am

FYI * Reminder

March 4, 2013
PUBLIC NOTICE
In accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:25-6.17, upon this public notice, the New Jersey Fish and Game Council, in coordination with the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council, and the NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife, has modified the regulations for American shad in fresh waters of the state. This public notice, coupled with regulation changes for marine waters, effective January 1, 2013, the regulations for American shad in New Jersey waters are such:

All American shad fisheries (both commercial and recreational), in both marine and fresh waters, with the exception of the Delaware Bay, Delaware River and its tributaries, are closed (no possession, take or harvest). The recreational possession limit in the Delaware Bay, Delaware River and its tributaries is 3 fish with no minimum size and an open season all year. Commercial net regulations for American shad in the Delaware Bay, Delaware River and its tributaries will remain the same.
These American shad regulations were taken to comply with Amendment 3 to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) management plan for American shad and river herring due to concerns about the significant coastwide decline of American shad stocks. Amendment 3 of the ASMFC fishery management plan for American shad (pdf, ASMFC site) prohibits both the recreational and commercial harvest of American shad in the waters of states that do not have an ASMFC-approved sustainable management plan.

Working in conjunction with state partners from the Delaware River Basin Fish and Wildlife Management Cooperative (CO-OP), a sustainability plan for American shad was developed for the Delaware River estuary and subsequently approved by ASMFC's Shad and River Herring Board. There was insufficient information available to develop sustainability plans for other American shad stocks.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links