Every winter I like to try to get out and do some trout fishing because I love cold water river fishing for some reason. I like to fly fish a lot in the winter months. I have a couple spots nailed down that I always catch a lot of fish at, I've been hitting these spots in winter for years and they are awesome. However, I kinda am getting bored of fishing the same 2 or 3 spots every winter. I know there's fish there and I always catch a ton, however I rarely hook into anything too big and like I said its just getting boring. Therefore, I am asking if anyone would be willing to share some spots (I know it's a lot to ask) it would be much appreciated. Preferably fly fishing but if not that's great too. And also I would like to ask you to be as specific as you can be. I know many of you don't wanna specific spots but given out county's or the names of large rivers doesn't help at all. So if you are willing to share specifically (at least to like a stretch of a couple miles) please do. If you don't want to I understand because I hate giving out spots. Just thought I'd throw it out in case anyone was a feeling extra giving, private message me if you wish (I would almost prefer that). Thanks.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Hockey do you use flies plugs or hook & bait during the winter????
I'm assuming that when you fly fish, you are wading in the river and not from the bank. If so the north and south branches of the Raritan River are good to fish. Anywhere in the surrounding towns. Bridgewater, Branchburg, Hillsborough, Raritan and Somerville. Be careful, because there are some deeper holes, but you should be able to see them before you step into one. Good luck!

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Yeah I fish the South Branch a lot, its probably my favorite river. I fish it year round for both trout and smallmouth. I got some solid holes but would like to explore it some more. Its a big stretch of water.

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Have you fished the section between Hillsborough and Branchburg aka Neshanic area? I've always had good luck catching trout, smallies, carp, catfish and suckers. Get a road map and just follow it through the differnt towns. There are some good spots to pull over and fish. Good Luck, maybe see you on the water.

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:19 pm

That's where I do fish that's my favorite stretch

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:07 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links