OK... first off... just to let you all know... I've been a intense and serious bass fisherman for over 30 years.... fished in professional tournaments .... state tournaments... bass clubs... the works-- but I have always LOVED fishing for anything SW and FW---I quit fishing professionally cause it became more work than pleasure... but never stopped bass fishing.. just mixed it up with other fishing as well... nothing was more fun than going out on a lake with my flyrod and catching a hundred or more bluegill in a day... ANYWAY... the point of this subject is this.... I have been turned on to CARP FISHING this past summer... and have an open mind here... cause I know many people hate and detest carp... I was never one of those... but never took that species seriously... damn... how wrong I was.. Im upset with myself for losing all those years of trying to catch an incredible fighting fish that can get to insane sizes here in NJ freshwater... dont discount this fish... there are a lot of things to really learn to be successful... it is a real challenge, just as tough as bass fishing to be honest... these fish are smart and you need to know what you are doing and need patience. The first 6 times I tried for them I got skunked but was determined to succeed. Well, I have.... Im still learning as I go, but there is nothing like catching fish 6 to 20 pounds and more.. the fight is incredible... one day I caught 8 fish from 6 to 14 pounds in an hour... (dont expect that to happen a lot). Its friggin amazing when you hook a ten pounder and better.... if you love fishing and the challenge and the fight... DO NOT discount this fish. I strongly suggest you learn ( tons of videos on you tube to teach you) how to fish for these incredible fighting fish... dont be like me and miss out on so many years of this.... euro style carping is the way to go.... just throwing it out there folks... just want to share my enjoyment with you... you wont regret it - trust me! NOTE- some great You Tube videos are by BRIAN WINGARD... check him out

Last edited by mab1212 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:06 pm

used to catch alot of big catfish down in oklahoma back in the early 70's. They are similar to carp and the fight they put up. I haven't caught any carp up here, but intend to next summer. I'm getting a heavy action rod/reel and gonna try out a heavy braid line for the 1st time and see what happens.

Posted Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:57 pm

good luck sjangler..I think you will find a big difference in the fight of carp here compared to cattys.... I've caught some nice size cattys while carping ( up to 6 pounds) and they do have a strong fight like you say... but the cattys fight is more of a pulling back on you... carp run... and I mean run.... like a SW bluefish if you have ever gone for blues in the ocean... they just flat out take the hell off.... awesome fight..... hope you try it... you will be hooked after your first fight.... check out you tube for some european style carping methods... they really work great!! again.. good luck my friend...

Posted Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:02 pm

thanks mabb - got a nice sized pond nearby that has at least 1 huge 3 foot carp in it. I figure i have a better shot there than at a creek or river. Gonna let that carp run with the bait and then hook and land him! Should i get a net or just drag him onshore? If i pick him up, the line is probably gonna snap.

Posted Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

You are so right about Carp. As a kid in North Jersey we had a couple of hot spots for them and I loved catching them just because of that great fight. I have slowly become more of a saltwater fisherman over the years but ever since I joined this site I have the itch to catch Carp and Pickerel again. It has been years but im getting out there soon.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:40 am

SJA---- there is no way you will be able to drag him onto the bank... there mouths are soft and if its a nice size carp like you explained above the hook will probably rip out.... use a net. Good luck.... try sweet corn on a #4 wide gap hook... use as many kernals to cover the entire hook.... a slip sinker is advised as well with a small split shot about 12 inches above your hook... slip sinker on the other side of the split shot from the hook,, good luck my friend. I suggest going to the lake the night before and throw out a few cans of sweet corn... then go back the next day and fish that spot.... You can throw out some corn the day you fish... but very little....

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:38 pm

sounds like a plan mabb, i will definitely use a net - and it's about 20 mins from my house, so i could make a run there the night before and throw out some corn, thanks brother!

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:14 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links